Recently I read something interesting on leading a happy life. The idea is that to be happy you need to have both pleasure and purpose in your life.
This resonated with me quite soundly, and being on my way back from a great vacation, the pleasure part has adequately been taken care of (I’m so happy to be heading back to my 9-to-5 existence…).
Pleasure (like a good vacation) for me consists of a number of things:
- Good food
- Being active (hiking, sports)
- Companionship (spending time with friends, loved ones)
- Experiencing something new (new food, different cultures, trying a new activity)
- Sex (no need to explain I would hope)
- Rest (afternoon naps, reading a book, lying by the sea / pool)
- Beauty (beautiful sights, scarcely clad women, impressive paintings)
Being on vacation definitely makes it easier to indulge in the above, but all of them are possible to get a healthy dose of in every day life as well (though the boss might frown upon afternoon naps and scantily clad women might be hard to find in wintry London as well).
What is on your list of pleasures? And are you happy with the balance between the different items?